What is the kingdom of God? A week-long intensive. Here in Perth, Western Australia. I’m in!
Derek Tidball is presenting, all the way from London. He has formal education in sociology (yep, a kingdom is a social entity), theology (yep, it’s God’s kingdom), and missions (yep, God’s kingdom is his mission — missio dei).
Dr Tidball has experience in both pastoral life and the academy. He’s written several commentaries, study themes, and other books published by InterVarsity Press, including:
- The Voices of the New Testament: Invitation to a Biblical Roundtable, 2016
- The Message of Women. Bible Speaks Today: Bible Themes, 2013
- The Message of Holiness. Bible Speaks Today, 2010
- Ministry by the Book: New Testament Patterns for Pastoral Leadership, 2009
- The Message of Leviticus: Free to Be Holy. Bible Speaks Today, 2005
- The Message of the Cross: Wisdom Unsearchable, Love Indestructible. The Bible Speaks Today, 2001
- Social Context of the New Testament. Biblical Classics Library, 1996
So, what am I hoping to get out of the week? There’s nothing like peer scrutiny to correct my mistakes, so I expect to be challenged. I also struggle to find the right words to communicate Jesus’ first century vision of the kingdom of God for a twenty-first century audience that doesn’t like kingdoms and doesn’t trust authority. It will be interesting to see how Dr Tidball and others cross that divide.
Where: Vose Seminary
When: 9 am – 5 pm, 21 – 25 August, 2017
Cost: varies (audit, bachelor-level, masters-level)
Monday is open for anyone to attend, free. See you there if you can make it.