Update 2021-02-07: old links removed.
Interested in Psalms? Join me for a free course if you’re in Perth. Two sessions (7–9 pm) each Monday evening for six weeks (29 July – 2 Sep 2019).
The first session orients you to the Book of Psalms, covering questions such as:
- Is each Psalm an independent song, or are they meaningfully arranged? Is there a theme?
- What kinds of Psalms are there? Which genres are most prevalent, and why?
- How do the lines of a song relate to each other? They don’t rhyme, so how do they connect?
Then we’ll dive into select Psalms from all genres, like samples from a chocolate box. We’ll use the same three questions with each Psalm:
- What would this have meant to Israel?
- What does it mean when we re-read it in light of Jesus?
- What does it mean to us today?
Such simple questions, yet they provide such a rich perspective — the meaning through time. It’s like seeing them in 3D. We’ll only get through 10 Psalms, but you can then to use the approach with the other 140.
- 29 Jul: How to approach the Psalms (Psalm 1).
- 5 Aug: The Lord’s Anointed (Psalm 2).
- 12 Aug: Messiah in the Psalms (Psalms 8, 22).
- 19 Aug: Our faithful ruler (Psalms 45, 89).
- 26 Aug: Exile and beyond (Psalms 108, 137).
- 2 Sep: Praise to our king (Psalm 145 and others).
The course is free, but please register to help us with planning. The location is Riverview, Burswood.